Wednesday, July 21, 2010

monday's menagerie


oh my.

monday started off fine, and i even managed to cut back on my gum and caffeine usage.

i had made plans with my dear friend natty (a brazilian goddess with a rock n roll streak) to visit her for a glass of wine at her and her man's brand new uber chic studio. it had been too long since we had last fully caught up with each other and i found myself filling her in on the details of my broken engagement. it didnt feel awful to talk about it, but it must have done something to my psyche to relive all those horrible memories of being so utterly miserable. because when i went to bed (early) on monday night with a tickle in my throat, i had no idea that i'd wake up on tuesday with my throat ON FIRE and my body aching all over.
i spent tuesday sleeping. i was awake for not more than two hours the entire day. what a fucking waste. i felt like such a failure.

today i felt better and managed to get to the gym and ended up having a great, revitalizing workout. wtf was up with tuesday, i dunno.

so lemme back up, cos i promised you a 'new music monday'.
here is my disclaimer: having worked in the local music industry for approximately 8 years now, i find i'm a bit jaded and i have a hard time finding new music that doesnt make me feel like 'its been done before, and done better'.
lately, i've been looking for music to fuel my workouts. my quest started when i was prepping to run my first 5k, and i was nervous that i wouldn't place because i'm not very fast. i had read that olympic champion swimmer michael phelps would listen to hip-hop to pump him up before a race. my ex provided me with a few song suggestions and man they really worked. particularly, eminem's 'lose yourself'. i beat my own personal record for my first 5k because of that song.

now, i never listen to hip-hop or rap outside of the gym. i stick to post-punk hits, eurotrash electro, and anything too indie to be on the radar. but in the gym, with hip-hop in my ears, I. AM. A. BADASS.
BUT eminem's new album RECOVERY is really quite brilliant. his flow is solid, and he even includes string instruments, acoustic guitar riffs, and some clever drum breaks. even if youre not a fan of the hip-hop/rap genre (TRUST ME I'M NOT), you'll appreciate this album.

in other news, i got my hair did today. my friend lorissa does my hair in the basement of the trendy apartment she shares with her husband and their record collection. she always gives me a healthy, loving dose of reality, and when i grow up i wanna be just like her.

Operation Freegan status: still no money spent on groceries, though i'm getting tired of the same sandwiches. but today i made a mini frittata and it was pretty yummers.

current music: eminem - going through changes
current mood: a bit defeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment