Tuesday, August 10, 2010

work in progress. pardon my dust.


i've been absent cos i've been social. not a bad trade-off. until its my day off and i'm too sick to leave the house. well, cheers to the blogging.

in other news, i've a date tomorrow. i'm optimistic about this one, mostly because of the way it came about. the story embraces my awkwardness as a beneficial trait, and in response, he's stepped up. heres how it all went down:
--part 1: about a week ago, a particular customer caught my eye: he was tall, big, with adorably scruffy stubble, and suited up in a genuine white chef's jacket. in the grand tradition of me, i stared longingly at him from way up on my cheese platform until he caught me looking and i averted my eyes, pretending to have been observing something else the entire time. epic fail.
--part 2: at work on saturday we had 'meet the farmers day', which means the farmers we source our produce from come to the store and chat with customers and sample their stuff. i had a long loud day of sampling first organic gelato (cue little kids off-leash running up to me with their sticky faces and stickier fingers to demand their free tablespoon of ice cream, over and over), then a trio of cheeses where people grabbed handfuls at a time and stuffed their mouths only to walk away empty-handed. disgusting. but the clouds parted for a brief moment when i saw him: the chef! there he is! walking around! and i'm not up in my cheese tower, and these samples are the perfect excuse to talk to him! quick, kendra, say something clever and engaging!
"so...uh... are you...like, a chef?" ugh.
his response: 'uh, yeah.' ok, kendra, recover! hurry, there are other people making walking towards you and theyll surely interrupt you to ask you where the bathroom is! quick!
"oh. uh...i've never been there." cue those damn customers, and off he went. epic fail.
--part 3: noel and i decided that after the festival of farmers, and the ensuing parade of greedy customers, at the end of our shift we needed a DRINK. bar-hopping led us to a gastropub and as i was perusing the wine list, i had a moment:
"wait a second! i know this place! the name matches his chef jacket- i've a crush on the chef here!" having had a couple glasses at this point, i was feeling ballsy, and so i revealed my secret admiration to the waitress (who told us my chef was off for the night) and the three of us joked about restaurants and markets. oh what boozy, hazy fun.
more wine. sleep.

next day, at work:
"hey!"
a hangover had me moving slowly, but i looked up from my cheese cutting and: there he was, wearing a big smile and an amused expression. oh my god.
"i heard you stopped by last night and you were looking for me."
oh my god.
i froze. see, i had already mentally put the restaurant and the conversation with the server into a 'do not recall due to heavy drinking' file. i felt the blood immediately rush to my face. not knowing what else to do, i fumblingly descended from my cheese tower and went through the motions of sampling cheeses while he introduced himself and attempted to chat it up. i was bright red and awkward and stammering the entire time. i couldnt even look him in the eye, though i tried several times. i just rambled on and on about cheese like an idiot. i was so embarrassed. it was not pretty for yours truly.


still, he smiled sweetly and asked for my number.
i waited patiently by my phone.

and despite ALL this, he called today and we're going out tomorrow. i said yes for several reasons:
-he came in to see me after hearing about/remembering me. confidence and balls.
-he's a bit chubby, and i like that. cos in my mind, this means he is bound to be jolly.
-he CALLED. not texted, not emailed, CALLED to ask me out. i'm an old-fashioned gal; i liked that.

so my goal for tomorrow night is to undo his first impression of me as an awkward stuttering cheese sampler that gets tipsy and reveals her crushes to strangers-in-common.


current mood: embarrassed, but hopeful nonetheless.
current music: ida maria - i like you so much better when youre naked

No comments:

Post a Comment